Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Quilts for Heroes

I was browsing various blogs last night (as you do) and I came across Gina's blog. She was saying how she had been to Westpoint in Exeter to the Quilt Show and had been talking to a lady who is collecting quilts for injured soldiers who are undergoing rehabilitation at Headley Court. I'm sure we have all seen the horrific injuries some of these young men have sustained and the wonderful work that is being done at Headley Court. Anyway this struck a chord with me as we are a service family (husband was in the forces and my youngest son is in also). He was in Iraq last year and will be going to Afghanistan next year.

This idea started last year when a man (I can't honestly remember his name at the moment) who has two sons in the Army and wanted to do something for all the injured squaddies that are coming back to England. It started when the young lads were asked who would like a quilt. Initially it was only two who said they would like one but once these two quilts were given to them all the rest wanted one and it grew from there. Last year 85 quilts were made and donated to Headley Court.

I think this is a wonderful idea. Also with our committment to Afghanistan ( whether you agree with it or not) many more quilts will be needed with the many injured soldiers that are coming home every day.

A quilt is made with love and I would like to know that if I wasn't around somebody would make something for my son if he was injured and he would know that it was made with love and comfort him.

5 comments:

jan said...

Just say the word Di. Count me in absolutely. I hope more people will join you in this worthwhile project.
I shall start making blocks tomorrow, also we can tell the ladies at the Quilt Set on Saturday about, well you can... Then see what happens.
Good for you.

Anonymous said...

I would love to have a go , what sort of size quilts, are we talking of

Joan

Di said...

Hi Joan
Well the lady in the shop that is collecting the quilts says anything from large lap size which is anything from 48" x 48" to single bed size which I take to be about 4 12" blocks across and 5" down as the soldiers take them home when they have recuperated. Anything larger might (if they are in a wheelchair) be too cumbersome for them. However, some people are making 12" blocks which I will put together, as a quilt is a huge ask.

Thank you so much for your interest.

Di

Rosa-Munda said...

Hello Di,
I have just made some 12" wonky star blocks towards a quilt, also 6m of binding from the scraps. Thank you for offering to sew them (and any other donations) together to make a quilt. Ros

Lynda said...

This is a fabulous idea! I have often seen that quilts have been given to American soldiers, but didn't know this was being organised over here. Everybody loves quilts, and the fact that they are made and given with love (usually by people you don't know) makes them even more special. Can you email the contact to me, as I know there are lots of people who would suport this.